nation of laws
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Shortened from earlier phrase "nation of laws and not of men," a common expression of the rule of law.
- (chiefly US) A nation-state that is subject to the rule of law.
- 1976, Carpenter - Volume 96–97, page 18:
- We talk a lot about being "a nation of laws," but some of the laws found on the books of states, counties and municipalities are a bit much.
- 2012, Peter Jan Honigsberg, Our Nation Unhinged, page 16:
- If we are to be a nation of laws, we must follow the rule of law consistently and not abandon it when times get tough.
nation-state subject to rule of law