Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Oily, greasy.
- 1707, J[ohn] Mortimer, The Whole Art of Husbandry; or, The Way of Managing and Improving of Land. […], 2nd edition, London: […] J[ohn] H[umphreys] for H[enry] Mortlock […], and J[onathan] Robinson […], published 1708, OCLC 13320837:
- […] the use of Linseed-oyl, Tar, or such oleaginous Matter, tends much to their Preservation and Duration.
- (of manner or speech) Falsely or affectedly earnest; persuasively suave.
- The oleaginous salesman convinced me to buy a more expensive car.
- (oily, greasy): greasy, oily, sebaceous, unctuous
- (falsely or affectedly earnest): fulsome, smarmy, unctuous
falsely or affectedly earnest; persuasively suave