Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: one up
- noun: 1-up
- (idiomatic) To outdo; to do something slightly better than a competitor's prior effort.
- Every year the neighbors try to one-up each other with their holiday lights.
- 1991, Ski (volume 56, number 3, page 102)
- "Time flies when you're having fun!" said one of the skiers in our party. "Yeah, but time's more fun when you're flying," Jay one-upped.
do something slightly better than a competitor
one-up (plural one-ups)
- (video games) An additional life or an object that increases the player's number of "lives" by one.
- If you hit that block, you can get a one-up.