- simple past tense and past participle of
2009 February 10, Cornelia Dean, “Seeing the Risks of Humanity’s Hand in Species Evolution”, in New York Times:
- More recently, researchers have reported that cod, overfished for decades off New England and the Canadian Maritime Provinces, have begun reproducing at younger ages and smaller sizes.
- Fished to the point of sustained reduction of fish species population.
1987, William F. Royce, Fishery Development, page 99:
- The Gulf of Thailand became more overfished than ever, causing acrimonious conflicts between domestic artisanal and large-scale fishers.
2000, Howard Back, Waters of Yellowstone with Rod and Fly, page 64:
- It is the most overfished of any hole that I know, this Nine Mile Hole.