Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To characterize as a pathology or disease; to characterize (a person) as suffering from a disease.
- Some childhood behavior has been pathologized as attention-deficit disorder.
- 2001 Dec. 16, Melanie Thernstrom, "Pain, the Disease," New York Times (retrieved 12 July 2011):
- Many pain patients have had doctors who pathologized them, told them their pain was unreal.
- 2007 July 23, Rachel Endo, "Inbox," Time:
- To pathologize China's industries as corrupt not only reeks of centuries-old Yellow Peril rhetoric but also fails to acknowledge the shortcomings of transnational regulations.
- 2009, Joseph G. Ponterotto et al., Handbook of Multicultural Counseling, ISBN 9781412964326, p. 142:
- My automatic reaction was to deal with the anxiety he evoked in me by pathologizing him as paranoid and obsessive compulsive.