Jump to navigation Jump to search
Modification of patroller.
patterroller (plural patterrollers)
- (African-American Vernacular, historical) A member of a slave patrol.
- 1881, Joel Chandler Harris, The Tar-baby: And Other Rhymes of Uncle Remus, New York: D. Appleton:
- […] I'll break yo neck, I'll crack yo head / I'll wallop you twel I make you think / I'm de patter-roller, you wall-eyed slink!".
- 1941, Slave Narratives: A Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves, volume 16, Washington, DC: Library of Congress, OCLC 29077332, page 248:
- One old fellow name John been a run-awayer for four years and de patterrollers tries all dey tricks, but dey can't cotch him. Dey wants him bad, 'cause it 'spire other slaves to run away if he stays a-loose.