Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: Pharos
pharos (plural pharoi)
- (historical) An ancient lighthouse or beacon to guide sailors.
- 1727, John Arbuthnot, Tables of Ancient Coins, Weights and Measures. Explain'd and exemplify'd in several dissertations:
- He […] built a Pharos, or Light House.
- (figuratively) That which stands out; a shining light.
- 1956, Anthony Burgess, Time for a Tiger (The Malayan Trilogy), published 1972, page 39:
- The house was not very felicitously titled, said many: it was no academic pharos.