Jump to navigation Jump to search
phytonym (plural phytonyms)
- A (non-taxonomic) plant name.
- 2008, Renato Tomei, Forbidden Fruits: The Secret Names of Plants in Caribbean Culture: Aniseed: (Pimpinella anisum) [...] This phytonym refers also to Foeniculum vulgare because this plant has yellow flowers, fine foliage and a strong smell of aniseed.
- ibid. Duck Weed: (Lemma perpusilla, Fam. Lemnaceae) [...] The Spanish phytonym for this plant carries another taxonomic name (Piaprpous crassipes, Fam. Pontederiaceae)
- 2008, Renato Tomei, Forbidden Fruits: The Secret Names of Plants in Caribbean Culture:
- The name of an individual plant (e.g. General Sherman, a tree in Sequoia National Park, California).
- An anthroponym derived from the name of a plant.