Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
poecilonym (plural poecilonyms)
- A synonym: a word that means almost the same thing as another.
- 1977, Robert H. Stacy, Defamiliarization in Language and Literature, Syracuse University Press, ISBN 9780815621843, page 52:
- 1997, David Grambs, The Endangered English Dictionary: Bodacious Words, page xi:
- Maybe we could all use a few spanking old poecilonyms. Poecilonym? It's an old synonym for synonym that you'll find in these pages. But many words in this dictionary have no real counterparts in today's English.
- 1999 July 27, "Ucalegon" (username), "Missing aircraft", in alt.anagrams, Usenet:
- >> Is there another word for synonym?
- >Actually, there is: poecilonym
- Take care, though; ‘poecilonym’ can only be used for the taxonomic meaning of ‘synonym’--an incorrect or obsolete systematic name for a genus or species.
- 2006, Nero Blanc, Death on the Diagonal, page 147:
- It's high time I looked for another job and got as far away from homonyms, synonyms, antonyms — to say nothing of caconyms, eponyms, and poecilonyms!