Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The next bluff in sequence after a double bluff and a triple bluff
1998, J Haiman, Talk is Cheap, Oxford university press, ISBN 9780195115253:
- The Reason it is not interpretable may be that while we can appreciate the difference between sincerity and a bluff, and even between a bluff and a double bluff, our minds aren’t yet rigged up to appreciate the difference between, say, a triple bluff and a quadruple bluff.
- 2008, 28 February, Rt Revd Tim Thornton, Bishop of Sherborne, Lent lecture given to Salisbury Cathedral:
- I have been given the topic of lust and immediately I wonder what it is that you are expecting, and as I wonder I try and think should I go for bluff, double bluff, triple bluff or quadruple bluff.
- 2008, 4 November, J Beresford, TV Scoop review:
- everything I was told as if it was at least a double-bluff and more likely a triple- or quadruple-bluff
2008 September 23, L Mangan, “The spy who came unstuck on national TV”, in The Guardian:
- Clearly, Britain's only hope is that the whole story is part of an elaborate, black-ops quadruple bluff designed to lull Johnny Foreigner into a false sense of security over the apparently shambolic nature of our national defence system.
- To perform a quadruple bluff