raise one's hand
- Used other than with a figurative or idiomatic meaning: see raise, hand.
- She raised her hand to slap me.
- (idiomatic) To volunteer by lifting one's hand.
2010, Michael J. Goodspeed, Our Only Shield: A Novel of the Second World War, page 143:
- Which of you speaks German?” The prisoners looked warily at each other. None of the others moved. Saul, sensing opportunity, raised his hand. “Good, come forward, stand aside here,”
- (idiomatic) To dare to question.
- raise one's hand at OneLook Dictionary Search