Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
- recognize (US)
- (transitive) To match something or someone which one currently perceives to a memory of some previous encounter with the same entity.
- (transitive) To acknowledge the existence or legality of something; treat as worthy of consideration or valid.
- The US and a number of EU countries are expected to recognise Kosovo on Monday.
- (transitive) To acknowledge or consider as something.
2013 June 28, Joris Luyendijk, “Our banks are out of control”, The Guardian Weekly, volume 189, number 3, page 21:
- Seeing the British establishment struggle with the financial sector is like watching an alcoholic […]. Until 2008 there was denial over what finance had become. […] But the scandals kept coming, and so we entered stage three – what therapists call "bargaining". A broad section of the political class now recognises the need for change but remains unable to see the necessity of a fundamental overhaul.
- (transitive) To realise or discover the nature of something; apprehend quality in; realise or admit that.
- (transitive) To give an award.
to match in memory; to know from a previous encounter
to acknowledge the existence or legality of something
to acknowledge as something
to realise or discover the nature of something
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked