Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈsɪɹiəsnəs/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈsɪəɹiəsnəs/
- Hyphenation: se‧ri‧ous‧ness
- The state or quality of being serious.
- 1963, Margery Allingham, chapter 18, in The China Governess:
- ‘Then the father has a great fight with his terrible conscience,’ said Munday with granite seriousness. ‘Should he make a row with the police […]? Or should he say nothing about it and condone brutality for fear of appearing in the newspapers?
- July 18 2012, Scott Tobias, AV Club The Dark Knight Rises
- Though Bane’s sing-song voice gives his pronouncements a funny lilt, he doesn’t have any of the Joker’s deranged wit, and Nolan isn’t interested in undercutting his seriousness for the sake of a breezier entertainment.
state of being serious