shit the bed (third-person singular simple present shits the bed, present participle shitting the bed, simple past and past participle shit the bed or shat the bed)
- Used other than with a figurative or idiomatic meaning: see shit, bed.
- (chiefly US, idiomatic, of a person or thing) To fail, often in a complete and irreparable fashion.
- 2008, Dave Zeltserman, Small Crimes, ISBN 9781852429713, p. 41 (Google preview):
- “[H]ow was I supposed to know Dan Marino would shit the bed and lose that game by nineteen points?”
- 2012, Tom Ryan, Way to Go, ISBN 9781459800793, p. 6 (Google preview):
- “Yep, I totally shit the bed on that exam. Guess I'll be sticking around this place for another year.”
- 2013, Stephen King, Under the Dome, ISBN 9781476735474, p. 266 (Google preview):
- “We're almost ready. If the damn copier doesn't shit the bed, that is.”