- (pejorative) Work of low status or yielding little satisfaction.
1987, James Ellroy, The Black Dahlia, page 276:
- Now it was real detective shitwork.
1991, Ben Hamper, Rivethead: Tales from the Assembly Line:
- GM paid us a tidy income and we did the shitwork. No one was holding a gun to anyone's head.
2000, David McCumber, The Cowboy Way: Seasons of a Montana Ranch, page 88:
- Mop again. Check the drop again. Clean the floor again. Fill the manger again. Shitwork.
2005, Linda Barnes, Coyote, page 111:
- I'm not into chasing some poor OTM wants to come in here and earn food money doing the kind of shitwork native-born Americans won't do.
2006, Katarzyna Marciniak, Alienhood: citizenship, exile, and the logic of difference, page 53:
- He's a Chicano. He's an American citizen but he comes from a Mexican family. That's why he has to do the same shitwork we do.
2011, David Zimmerman, The Sandbox:
- Basically, he does the shitwork. As scrawny as he is, Ahmed can heft a good bit of weight and always seems to be busy even when he's not doing anything, a skill I'd like to learn.