Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈʃɔɹtɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈʃɔːtə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɔː(ɹ)tə(ɹ)
- Hyphenation: short‧er
- comparative form of short: more short.
- There are two routes to get there. We're in a rush so we'll take the shorter one.
shorter (plural shorters)
- (colloquial) A short, a short seller: one who engages in short selling.
- (UK, slang, obsolete) One who makes a dishonest profit by clipping and filing coins.
- 1858, George Borrow, The Romany Rye, volume 2, page 128:
- My grandfather, as I said before, was connected with a gang of shorters, and sometimes shortened money, […]
- English 2-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- Rhymes:English/ɔː(ɹ)tə(ɹ)/2 syllables
- English non-lemma forms
- English comparative adjectives
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English countable nouns
- English colloquialisms
- British English
- English slang
- English terms with obsolete senses
- English terms with quotations