Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
spetchel (plural spetchels)
- (Northern England) A levee or dike made from stones laid in horizontal rows with a bed of thin turf between each of them.
- Levee on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- A glossary of North Country Words, with their etymology, and affinity to other languages, third edition, volume 2 (of 2), by John Trotter Brockett and William Edward Brockett, 1846, p. 152 (books.google)
- Newcastle & the North C19/1: Brockett's 'North Country Words'
- Wright, Joseph (1904) The English Dialect Dictionary, volume 5, Oxford: Oxford University Press, page 660