- to call (with the name as the direct object of tabhair and the person called as the object of ar)
Tabharfaidh Máire Brian ar a mac.
- Máire will call her son Brian.
Thug sé amadán orm.
- He called me a fool.
Tugtar teach spéire ar foirgneamh an-ard.
- A very tall building is called a skyscraper.
- to make, cause, compel (with the person compelled as the object of ar and the action caused as a verbal noun complement)
Thug sí ar a deartháir an obair uile a dhéanamh.
- She made her brother do all the work.
Tabhair orthu suí síos.
- Have them sit down.
conjugation of tabhair ar: see tabhair
- (make, cause, compel): cuir faoi deara