Jump to navigation Jump to search
- teucalli (obsolete)
teocalli (plural teocallis)
- An Aztec temple.
- 1578, Nicholas, Thomas, The Pleasant Historie of the Conquest of the VVeast India, London: Henry Bynneman, translation of Historia general de las Indias by Francisco López de Gómara, page 62:
- their Cazique or Lorde had ſente them, to ſee what Goddes were comen in thoſe Teucallis, that is to ſay, Temple
- 1845, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, The Arsenal at Springfield
- And Aztec priests upon their teocallis / Beat the wild war-drums made of serpent's skin.
- A Mesoamerican pyramid surmounted by a temple.
- Alternative spelling of