tilak (plural tilaks)
- A mark or symbol worn on the forehead by Hindus, ornamentally or as an indication of status.
- 2001, Yann Martel, Life of Pi:
- I wore these spots of shine and silver like tilaks, the marks of colour that we Hindus wear on our foreheads as symbols of the divine.
- 2012, Jake Halpern, "The Secret of the Temple", The New Yorker, 30 Apr 2012:
- He dressed in a dhoti, had a wispy white beard that trailed down to his waist, and regularly smeared across his forehead a tilaka, a pitchfork-shaped design that signifies enlightenment.
symbol worn on the forehead