tovarishch (plural tovarishches)
- Alternative form of
- 1963, Jews and the Jewish People, page 69:
- The people were surprised that the old Moshka had business with tovarishch Commissar.
- 1963, Jacob Klein-Haparash, He Who Flees the Lion, page 84:
- Yes, a watch, and this tovarishch has given it to me.
- 1988, Anthony Burgess, Any Old Iron:
- As for Spain, do you really think’ (she was addressing Reg) ‘that there’s a desire on the part of Tovarishch Stalin to save Catalonian anarchism and syndicalism and liberal socialism? I shouldn’t be surprised if Moscow gold is helping to finance Franco.’
- 2004, Wesley Adamczyk, When God Looked the Other Way, page 45:
- “I will remember, tovarishch,” I answered uncertainly, not knowing how I should address him.
- 2010, Patrik Ouředník, Case Closed, page 131:
- There's no other way, tovarishch, no other way!