Jump to navigation Jump to search
- The state or characteristic of being unctuous.
- 1851, Herman Melville, chapter 94, in Moby Dick:
- Plum-pudding is the term bestowed upon certain fragmentary parts of the whale's flesh, here and there adhering to the blanket of blubber, and often participating to a considerable degree in its unctuousness.
- 1919, Anthony Hope, chapter 17, in The Secret of the Tower:
- Only Mr. Radbolt's unctuousness—surely it would have smoothed the stormiest waves—saved the social situation.
- Synonym: unctuosity