under the gun
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) Under great pressure to perform.
- Synonyms: under the cosh, (Australia, New Zealand) under the pump
- He was under the gun to finish the project quickly.
- 2013, The National (lyrics and music), “I Need My Girl”, in Trouble Will Find Me:
- I'm under the gun again / I know I was a 45-percenter then / I know I was a lot of things
- (poker) Of, pertaining to, or in the situation of first player to act on the first round of betting.
- Synonym: UTG
- James will be under the gun for the first hand of the final table.
- (obsolete, military) Too close to be subject to artillery fire.