under the table
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: under-the-table
- under-the-table (attributive use)
- (adjectival and adverbial) Secret(ly), covert(ly), undisclosed(ly).
- The payment was under the table.
- I was paid under the table, so I didn't have to pay taxes on the income but I couldn't complain when I was cheated.
- 2015, Elizabeth Royte, Vultures Are Revolting. Here’s Why We Need to Save Them., National Geographic (December 2015)
- The men tie up their dogs, retrieve what’s left of the lion’s kill, and sprinkle it with a generic form of Furadan, a cheap, fast-acting pesticide that’s readily available under the table.
- Used other than as an idiom: see under, table.