Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: washover
- To pass unnoticed so that one is unaffected by it.
- The news of the actor's death just washed over me, as I did not particularly like the man anyway.
- To affect the emotions of (a person) suddenly and overwhelmingly.
- A wave of embarrasment washed over me, as I became suddenly hot, and red in the face.
- Of open water. To surge over the banks, or other retaining structure.
- The river washed over the embankment at several places.