Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(Redirected from window-dressing)
- The decorative display of retail merchandise in store windows
- The goods and trimmings used in such display
- (idiomatic, uncountable) A means of creating a deceptively favourable impression of something or someone; something for appearance only.
- These latest modifications are mere window dressing, the same problems remain.
2011 December 14, Angelique Chrisafis, “Rachida Dati accuses French PM of sexism and elitism”, in Guardian:
- Meanwhile, the left is deliberately running more ethnically diverse candidates in the parliamentary elections next year, claiming Sarkozy's one-time "rainbow" cabinet of racially diverse women had turned out to be window dressing.