Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Украи́на • (Ukraína) f
Declension of Украина
- Traditionally in English, the proper noun Ukraine has been used with the definite article, the. However, this usage appears to become less common (see References).
- In Russia, Украина is mostly used with the preposition на, as in
- In Ukraine, Украина is nowadays mostly used with the preposition в, as in
- The argument for the usage by Ukrainians is that “на Украине” implies that Ukraine is still a part of Russia (or the USSR), which Ukraine left in 1991.
- Укра́ина is a common mispronunciation.
- Малоро́ссия (Maloróssija) or, rarely, Малору́ссия (Malorússija) (both historical, currently disliked by Ukrainians).
- окра́ина (okráina)