Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
मार (māra) m
- death, pestilence.
- slaying, killing (cf. पशु-म्°).
- an obstacle, hindrance.
- the passion of love, god of love.
- (Buddhism) the Destroyer, Evil One (who tempts men to indulge their passions and is the great enemy of the बुद्ध and his religion; four मारs are enumerated in Dharmas. 80, viz. स्कन्ध-, क्लेश-, देवपुत्र-, and मृत्यु-म्°; but the later Buddhist theory of races of gods led to the figment of millions of मारs ruled over by a chief मार).
- the thorn-apple L.
- pestilence (also personified as the goddess of death and identified with दुर्गा).
- Monier William's Sanskrit-English Dictionary, 2nd Ed. 1899.