Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- c. 280–233 BCE: Han Fei, Han Feizi/Chapter 30. Inner Assortment of Parables: The Seven Tactics, Part 1 (《韩非子·内储说上七术第三十》)
- (Whenever) King Xuan of Qi had men play the yu, there had to be 300 men (playing simultaneously). A reclusive scholar, (who was living near the) southern wall of the city, asked if he could play the yu for the king. King Xuan was delighted by this, and dispensed enough food rations for several hundred (musicians). (Then) King Xuan died, and King Min took the throne. He prefered to listen to (the yu players) one-by-one, (so) the reclusive scholar fled. (Wiktionary translation)
- ^ Because 南郭 has multiple meanings, the sentence could also be translated as:
- ^ Even though the man couldn't actually play the yu, he figured he could play silently among the 300 men, so that he could receive special treatment by the king.
滥竽充数 (simplified, Pinyin 濫竽充數), traditional
- "滥竽充数" (in Mandarin), Guoyu Cidian On-line Mandarin Dictionary (國語辭典). URL accessed on 2008-06-24.
- 2007, Hanyu Da Cidian 3.0 (in Mandarin), Hong Kong: Commercial Press, ISBN 9789620702778:
- 1985, Jingrong (ed.) Wu, The Pinyin CHINESE-ENGLISH DICTIONARY (in Mandarin/English), Beijing, Hong Kong: The Commercial Press, ISBN 0471867969: