Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: cantonese
Cantonese (not comparable)
- Relating to Canton.
- Relating to Cantonese people.
- Relating to Cantonese language.
- Relating to Cantonese food/cuisine.
relating to Canton
relating to the Cantonese people
relating to the Cantonese language
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Cantonese (plural Cantonese)
person from Canton
- (uncountable) A Chinese language mainly spoken in the south-eastern part of Mainland China, Guangdong (Canton), Hong Kong, Macau, by the Chinese minorities in Southeast Asia and by many overseas Chinese worldwide.
- (uncountable) A dialect of the Cantonese language, spoken in Guangzhou (Canton), Hong Kong, Macau, and treated as the standard dialect of the Cantonese language
- (language): Yue Chinese / Yue , Cantonese language , Cantonese dialect
- (dialect): Cantonese dialect , Cantonese language
- Cantonese / Cantonese dialect (the dialect of Cantonese language treated as standard)
- Hoisanese / Toisanese / Taishanese (the dialect spoken in the Greater Hoi San area, with subdialects)
- Hong Kong Cantonese (the dialect spoken in Hong Kong and Macau)
- Wiktionary's coverage of Cantonese terms
- Appendix:Cantonese Swadesh list for a Swadesh list of basic vocabulary words in Cantonese