Category:Finnish terms by etymology
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
» Finnish language » Terms by etymology
Finnish terms categorized by their etymologies.
- Category:Finnish back-formations: Finnish words formed by reversing a supposed regular formation, removing part of an older term.
- Category:Finnish blends: Finnish words formed by combinations of other words.
- Category:Finnish borrowed terms: Finnish terms that are loanwords, i.e. words that were directly incorporated from another language.
- Category:Finnish calques: Finnish terms formed by piece-by-piece translations of terms from other languages.
- Category:Finnish clippings: Finnish words that were formed from another word by removing part of it, but without changing the part of speech.
- Category:Finnish compound words: Finnish words composed of two or more stems.
- Category:Finnish eponyms: Finnish terms derived from names of real or fictitious people.
- Category:Finnish genericized trademarks: Finnish terms that originate from trademarks, brands and company names which have become genericized; that is, fallen into common usage in the target market's vernacular, even when referring to other competing brands.
- Category:Finnish neologisms: Finnish terms that have been only recently acknowledged.
- Category:Finnish onomatopoeias: Finnish words that were coined to sound like what they represent.
- Category:Finnish words by prefix: Finnish words categorized by their prefixes.
- Category:Finnish reduplications: Finnish terms that underwent reduplication, so their origin involved a repetition of roots or stems.
- Category:Finnish words by suffix: Finnish words categorized by their suffixes.
- Category:Finnish terms derived from fiction: Finnish terms originating from works of fiction.
- Category:Finnish terms with multiple etymologies: Finnish terms that are derived from multiple origins.
- Category:Finnish terms with unknown etymologies: Finnish terms whose etymologies have not yet been established.
|Top – Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg Hh Ii Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt Uu Vv Xx Yy Zz Åå Ää Öö|
This category has the following 17 subcategories, out of 17 total.
- ► Finnish eponyms (0 c, 44 e)
- ► Finnish genericized trademarks (0 c, 2 e)
- ► Finnish neologisms (0 c, 3 e)
- ► Finnish onomatopoeias (0 c, 12 e)
- ► Finnish words by prefix (277 c, 0 e)
- ► Finnish reduplications (0 c, 1 e)
- ► Finnish words by suffix (185 c, 0 e)
- ► Finnish terms with unknown etymologies (0 c, 38 e)