Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: crimea
- A peninsula which juts southwards out of the Ukrainian mainland (to which it is connected by the Isthmus of Perekop) into the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov.
- Any of several political entities which have occupied the peninsula, such as:
- The Crimean ulus of the Golden Horde
- Crimean Khanate
- Taurida Oblast
- Taurida Guberniya
- Crimean People’s Republic
- Taurida Soviet Socialist Republic
- First Crimean Regional Government
- Second Crimean Regional Government
- Crimean Socialist Soviet Republic
- Government of South Russia
- The Crimean ASSR of the Russian SFSR (1921–1945).
- Teilbezirk Taurien of Reichskommissariat Ukraine
- The Crimean Oblast of the Russian SFSR (1945–1954).
- The Crimean Oblast of the Ukrainian SSR (1954–1991).
- The Crimean ASSR of the Ukrainian SSR (1991–1992).
- The Autonomous Republic of Crimea with Ukraine (1992–present).
- (this is a hot word and may be deleted in the future) The Republic of Crimea, proclaimed and occupied by Russia, but not recognized by other states, in March of 2014.
- (this is a hot word and may be deleted in the future) The Crimean Federal District, including the Republic of Crimea and city of Sevastopol, proclaimed and occupied by Russia, but not recognized by other states, in March of 2014.
Often with the article: the Crimea.
- (peninsula): Chersonesus Taurica, Taurica, Tauris, Taurida, Tauric Chersonese, Tavria (historical), Qirim/Qırım, Krym
- (republic, oblast, etc.): Crimean ASSR, Crimean Oblast, Autonomous Republic of Crimea, Republic of Crimea
peninsula — See also translations at : Crimean peninsula
Autonomous Republic of Crimea