From Old English Dearthington believed to be the settlement of Deornoth's people (unclear root + ing a family group + ton an enclosed farm or homestead) via Middle English Dearnington and Derlinton. The family name is derived from the place name, simply meaning one who came from the village of Darlington. Most of the later place names are derived either from the Darlington family name, being named either after people with that family name, or are derived from the place name directly, being named after the original village of Darlington directly.
- A surname.
- A town in Indiana
- An unincorporated community in Maryland
- A city in Missouri
- A borough in Pennsylvania
- A settlement in Prince Edward Island
- A city in South Carolina
- A city and town in Wisconsin
- The making of Darlington, accessed on 2005-04-30
Darlington (plural Darlingtons)