Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Rhymes: -ɔɪs
- An English and Irish patronymic surname.
- A female given name, associated by folk etymology with joy and rejoice.
- 1860 Mrs Henry Wood (Ellen Wood): East Lynne:
- "It's a curious name," remarked Captain Levison. "Joyce - Joyce! I never heard such a name. Is it a Christian name or a surname?"
- "She was baptised Joyce. It is not so very uncommon. Her name is Joyce Hallijohn. She has been with us several years."
- 1959 Anne Sexton: The Double Image:
- You call me mother, and I remember my mother again,
- somewhere in greater Boston, dying.
- I remember we named you Joyce
- so we could call you Joy.
- ^ Patrick Hanks and Flavia Hodges: A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford University Press 1988.