Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
An acronym for "Queer/Questioning, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Trans (Transgender/Transexual), Bisexual, Asexual, Gay", used as an inclusive self-designation for minority sexual and gender identites. Coined by Sadie Lee.
2006 October, Sadie Lee, “Final Call: Kate Bornstein”, Diva Magazine, number 125, page 114:
- Queer/Questioning, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Trans (Transgender/Transexual), Bisexual, Asexual, and/or Gay.
2010 September 17, S. E. Smith, “Separate but equal is still unequal”, This Ain’t Livin’, accessed on 2012-05-22:
- There’s a reason that people supporting marriage and fighting hardest for it are primarily middle class white gays and lesbians, because, for them, marriage may be the ‘final frontier,’ while other members of the QUILTBAG community are fighting with issues like ‘how to stay alive when your parents have kicked you out of the house for being gay’ and ‘how to get hormone treatments when you are an undocumented immigrant making less than minimum wage.’
2011 March 28, Ouyang Dan, “The Games We Play: The Straight Male Gamer's Privilege”, Bitch Magazine, retrieved on 2012-05-22:
- I doubt that there's a lack of QUILTBAG gamers who want an inclusive experience, and who are still feeling the sting of other oversights BioWare has made to their personhood.
2012 March 6, Julia Rios, “Reaching into the QUILTBAG: the Evolving World of Queer Speculative Fiction”, Apex Magazine, retrieved on 2012-05-22:
- Over the past few decades, stories have slowly changed from being the kind where the author first explains how QUILTBAG people might come to exist and be acceptable (see Joanna Russ’s The Female Man, in which a group of women become lesbians because they’re stuck for centuries on a planet without men) to the kinds where we take it for granted that QUILTBAG people need no speculative explanation (see Elizabeth Bear’s Carnival, in which there’s a planet run by lesbians because some radical lesbian separatists—people who already exist in present day Earth culture—decided to start their own colony).
- See the usage notes about LGBT.
- see the list at LGBT
Queer/Questioning, Undecided, Intersex, Lesbian, Trans, Bisexual, Asexual, or Gay