Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- A daughter-in-law of Judah.
- A daughter of David.
- A daughter of Absalom.
- A female given name of biblical origin.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version), Genesis 38:11:
- Then said Judah to Tamar his daughter in law, Remain a widow at thy father's house, till Shelah my son be grown: for he said, Lest peradventure he die also, as his brethren did.
- 1611, King James Version of the Bible (Authorized Version), 2 Samuel 13:22:
- And Absalom spake unto his brother Amnon neither good nor bad: for Absalom hated Amnon, because he had forced his sister Tamar.
From Celtic meaning "Great river".