Welcome to Wiktionary
Hello, welcome to Wiktionary, and thank you for your contributions so far.
If you are unfamiliar with wiki editing, take a look at Help:How to edit a page. It is a concise list of technical guidelines to the wiki format we use here: how to, for example, make text boldfaced or create hyperlinks. Feel free to practice in the sandbox. If you would like a slower introduction we have a short tutorial.
These links may help you familiarize yourself with Wiktionary:
- Entry layout explained (ELE) is a detailed policy documenting how Wiktionary pages should be formatted. All entries should conform to this standard. The easiest way to start off is to copy the contents of an existing page for a similar word, and then adapt it to fit the entry you are creating.
- Our Criteria for inclusion (CFI) define exactly which words can be added to Wiktionary, though it may be a bit technical and longwinded. The most important part is that Wiktionary only accepts words that have been in somewhat widespread use over the course of at least a year, and citations that demonstrate usage can be asked for when there is doubt.
- If you already have some experience with editing our sister project Wikipedia, then you may find our guide for Wikipedia users useful.
- The FAQ aims to answer most of your remaining questions, and there are several help pages that you can browse for more information.
- A glossary of our technical jargon, and some hints for dealing with the more common communication issues.
- If you have anything to ask about or suggest, we have several discussion rooms. Feel free to ask any other editors in person if you have any problems or question, by posting a message on their talk page.
You are encouraged to add a BabelBox to your userpage. This shows which languages you know, so other editors know which languages you'll be working on, and what they can ask you for help with.
I hope you enjoy editing here and being a Wiktionarian! If you have any questions, bring them to the Wiktionary:Information desk, or ask me on my talk page. If you do so, please sign your posts with four tildes: ~~~~ which automatically produces your username and the current date and time.
- Nevermind, I think guns is a poetic term for a flame or fire. --Lo Ximiendo (talk) 16:00, 26 October 2014 (UTC)
- Would you like to also review the declension table I added to guns? --Lo Ximiendo (talk) 16:33, 26 October 2014 (UTC)
Terms with incomplete gender
- Ok, I try to do it. I work here (basically in Latvian Wiktionary) about week and then do something else, then return again. I check Latvian Wiktionary once a day, sometimes once in two days. --Čumbavamba (talk) 23:22, 2 January 2015 (UTC)
- @Lo Ximiendo: If I isn't here, here is instructions:
- Masculine gender:
- Feminine gender:
- There are some exceptions, like akmens or rudens, which ends with -s, but is 2nd declesion. --Čumbavamba (talk) 23:31, 2 January 2015 (UTC)
Question mark in Latvian
I wonder how to write or type "question mark" in Latvian? That is that Category:Translation requests (Latvian) is for. If that sort of category is too much for you to handle, I understand. --Lo Ximiendo (talk) 13:07, 3 January 2015 (UTC)
- Done.I will check that category, and try to give some translations. It will be later. Now I want to write entries in Latvian Wiktionary. --Čumbavamba (talk) 13:15, 3 January 2015 (UTC)
Latvian verb rakt
- @Lo Ximiendo: Done --Čumbavamba (talk) 15:19, 10 January 2015 (UTC)
Template "misspelling of"
Thanks for helping out with Latvian. As you can see, I added a few very basic entries for common terms, but not speaking the language at all, I hoped someone would come along and expand and check them. Happy editting. --Type56op9 (talk) 13:36, 22 February 2015 (UTC)
Entry formatting etc
I appreciate your additions of Latvian vocabulary very much! However, there are a lot of minor problems with your entries that I have been fixing. If you look at the edits I have made to your recent entries, you will see that I have been removing redundant definitions and fixing the formatting, as well as other minor changes. Please try to learn from these changes so that the rest of your entries do not need to be fixed at all. Paldies! —Μετάknowledgediscuss/deeds 00:03, 23 February 2015 (UTC)
- Ok! --Čumbavamba (talk) 00:07, 23 February 2015 (UTC)
Your contribution to the cīņa article
I'm not exactly sure cīņa is wrestling. You may not remove it, but I'm just uneasy about it, can you try to convince me? :)
- @Unknowledgeable: Ok, I will try to convince you later, today after work. --Čumbavamba (talk) 11:39, 1 April 2015 (UTC)
- @Type56op9: That category is empty. What I must do? I don't understand, what do you want? --Čumbavamba (talk) 11:41, 1 April 2015 (UTC)