Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (zoology) Without a distinct head; -- a term applied to bivalve mollusks.
- (botany) Having the style spring from the base, instead of from the apex, as is the case in certain ovaries
- Without a leader or chief.
- Wanting the beginning
- A false or acephalous structure of sentence. - Thomas de Quincey
- (prosody) Deficient in the beginning, as a line of poetry that is missing its expected opening syllable
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Brande to this entry?)