Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- IPA: /ˈeɪlɪənɪst/
alienist (plural alienists)
- An expert in mental illness, especially with reference to legal ramifications.
- (obsolete) A psychiatrist or psychologist.
- 1923, Arthur Conan Doyle, ‘The Adventure of the Creeping Man’, Norton (2005), page 1644
- “Speaking as a medical man,” said I, “it appears to be a case for an alienist. The old gentleman's cerebral processes were disturbed by the love affair.”
an expert in mental illness
psychiatrist — see psychiatrist
psychologist — see psychologist
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.