Middle English aspen 'made of aspen wood', from asp 'aspen', from Old English æspe, from Proto-Germanic *aspǭ (compare Dutch esp, German Espe, Swedish asp), from Proto-Indo-European *Hosp- (compare Welsh aethnen, Latin abiēs 'fir', Latvian apse, Polish osa, Armenian op'i 'poplar').
aspen (plural aspens)
- A kind of poplar tree (genus Populus sect. Populus).
- Above a certain elevation, the aspens gave way to scrubby, gnarled pines.
- (uncountable) The wood of such a tree.
- She claimed that aspen was the only "proper" material from which make a wicker basket.
- (poplar tree): Chinese aspen - Populus adenopoda, bigtooth aspen - Populus grandidentata, Japanese aspen - Populus sieboldii, Eurasian aspen - Populus tremula, quaking aspen - Populus tremuloides
- definite singular of asp