Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (US) IPA(key): [ˈɔθəɹaɪz], [ˈɑθəɹaɪz]
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): [ˈɔːθəɹaɪz]
- Rhymes: -aɪz
Audio (US) (file)
- (transitive) To grant (someone) power or authority (to do something specific).
- The General Assembly authorized the Council to take up the matter.
- (transitive) To give (someone) permission; to sanction or consent.
- (transitive) To permit (something), to sanction or consent to (something).
- The judge authorized the wiretapping.
to give someone permission; to sanction or consent
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.