call it a day
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (idiomatic) To retire.
- After suffering massive losses for three years in a row, the boss decided to call it a day, and sold his company.
- (idiomatic) To cease the activity for the day.
- We have been at this for hours; let's call it a day and come back tomorrow when we are fresh.
- 1960, P. G. Wodehouse, Jeeves in the Offing, chapter VIII:
- “Do you often go looking for mice in other people's rooms?” “I wouldn't say often. Just when the spirit moves me, don't you know?” “I see. Well...” When people say “Well” to you like that, it usually means that they think you are outstaying your welcome and that the time has come to call it a day. She felt, I could see, that Woosters were not required in her son's sleeping apartment [...]
to cease activity for the day