Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
canister (plural canisters)
- A cylindrical or rectangular container usually of lightweight metal, plastic, or laminated pasteboard used for holding a dry product (as tea, crackers, flour, matches).
- Any of various cylindrical metal receptacles usually with a removable close-fitting top.
- A special short range antipersonnel projectile consisting of a casing of light metal, loaded with preformed submissiles such as flechettes or steel balls. The casing is designed to open just beyond the muzzle of the weapon, dispersing the submissiles.
- A component of canister type protective mask containing a mechanical filter and chemical filling to filter, neutralize and/or absorb toxic chemical, biological and radiological agents.
- A projectile component containing colored or screening smoke or riot control agent composition.
cylindrical metal receptacle
short range antipersonnel projectile
component of canister type protective mask