Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA: /ˈkɒl.əni/, X-SAMPA: /"kQl.@ni/
- (US) IPA: /ˈkɑləniː/, X-SAMPA: /"kAl@ni:/
Audio (US) (file)
colony (plural colonies)
- A settlement of emigrants who move to a new place, but remain culturally tied to their original place
- Region or governmental unit created by another country and generally ruled by another country.
- A group of people with the same interests or ethnic origin concentrated in a particular geographic area
- The Amana Colonies in Iowa were settled by people from Germany
- A group of organisms of same or different species living together in close association.
- A collective noun for rabbits.
Derived terms 
- colonial (adj., n.)
- colonialism (n.)
- colonise, colonize
- colonist (n.)
- colonyhood (n.)
- Cologne (city, n.)
Related terms 
region or governmental unit