Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (UK) IPA: /ˈkʌm.fət/, X-SAMPA: /"kVm.f@t/
- (US) enPR: kŭm'fərt, IPA: /ˈkʌm.fɝt/, X-SAMPA: /"kVm.f3`t/
Audio (US) (file)
comfort (plural comforts)
- Contentment, ease.
- Sleep in comfort with our new mattress.
- the comforts of home
- A consolation; something relieving suffering or worry.
- We still have the spare tire? That's a comfort at least.
- A cause of relief or satisfaction.
- The outcome of the peace negotiations in Moscow in 1940 was a heavy blow to the young nation, but in the same time a great comfort: at least the independency was preserved.
- (contentment, ease): austerity
cause of relief or satisfaction
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive): To relieve distress or suffering; to provide comfort to.
- Rob comforted Aaron because he was lost and very sad.
- To make the physical circumstances comfortable.
to provide comfort
to make comfortable
console — see console
Derived terms 
Terms derived from the noun or verb "comfort"
- Physical comfort, ease