Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Audio (US) (file)
commodore (plural commodores)
- (military, nautical) A naval officer holding a rank between captain and rear admiral.
- (nautical) A (temporary) commander over a collection of ships who is not an admiral.
- (nautical) The president of a yacht club
- (US, military, nautical) A commodore admiral
- (US, military, nautical) A rear admiral (lower half)
- (non-flag naval rank): senior captain , fleet captain
- (flag naval rank): CDRE , COMO (abbreviation)
- (naval rank): Cmdre , Cmdre. (abbreviation)
a commander over a collection of ships who is not an admiral
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
commodore m, f (plural commodores)
- (military, nautical) commodore, a naval military rank between captain (capitaine de vaisseau or capitaine de croiseur) and rear admiral (contre-amiral)