compatriot (plural compatriots)
- Somebody from one's own country.
- the distrust with which they felt themselves to be regarded by their compatriots in America
- 2011 October 20, Jamie Lillywhite, “Tottenham 1 - 0 Rubin Kazan”, BBC Sport:
- However Russian Pavlyuchenko stunned his compatriots with an unstoppable 25-yard drive into the top corner.
- Of the same country; having a common sentiment of patriotism.
- She [Britain] rears to freedom an undaunted race, / Compatriot, zealous, hospitable, kind.
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.