- Noun, adjective
coordinate (not comparable)
- Of the same rank; equal.
- whether there was one Supreme Governor of the world, or many co-ordinate powers presiding over each country
The usual pronunciation of ‘oo’ is /uː/ or /ʊ/. The dieresis in the spelling coördinate emphasizes that the second o begins a separate syllable. However, the dieresis is becoming increasingly rare in US English typography, so the spelling coordinate predominates.
coordinate (plural coordinates)
- (mathematics, cartography) A number representing the position of a point along a line, arc, or similar one-dimensional figure.
- Something that is equal to another thing.
1851, John C. Calhoun, A Discourse on the Constitution and Government of the United StatesWikisource:
- These are coordinates; because each, in the sphere of its powers, is equal to, and independent of the others; and because the three united make the government.
- coordinately, coördinately
- coordinateness, coördinateness
- coordinative, coördinative
- uncoordinated, uncoördinated
- coordinate in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- coordinate in The Century Dictionary, The Century Co., New York, 1911
- feminine plural of
- plural form of