Shortened form of duhibius (“held as two”), from duo (“two”) + habeō (“have, hold”).
dubius m (feminine dubia, neuter dubium); first/second declension
- Moving in two directions alternately, vibrating to and fro, fluctuating, wavering.
- (figuratively) Vacillating in mind, uncertain; doubting, doubtful, dubious, irresolute, undetermined.
- (of a situation) Precarious, dangerous, critical, difficult, adverse, doubtful.
- (of weather) Changeable, uncertain.
- dubius in Charlton T. Lewis & Charles Short, A Latin Dictionary, Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1879