Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
Alternative forms 
- œconomist (archaic)
From Middle French économiste (“household manager”)
economist (plural economists)
- An expert in economics, especially one who studies economic data and extracts higher-level information or proposes theories.
- One concerned with political economy.
- (obsolete) One who manages a household.
- (obsolete) One who economizes, or manages domestic or other concerns with frugality; one who expends money, time, or labor, judiciously, and without waste.
Related terms 
expert in economics
See also 
- “economist” in Douglas Harper, Online Etymology Dictionary (2001).